Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Proud to be a Veteran's Descendant

It's Veteran Day. It's the one day we all stand still and honor American men and women who have fought for this great land. Too bad that too many choose to not honor veterans at any time.

This morning on one of the mindless television shows where the hosts gab and gossip, one of them spoke against the war in Iraq and its cost. That is what she thinks about veterans? She thinks she should denounce the war and the men and women who CHOSE to defend this country?

Excuse me. Veteran Day was originally declared to honor veterans of World War I. Gee, wasn't there a cost to that war? Gee, wasn't there a cost to any war? Yes. The payoff of these wars is called freedom.

World War I cost my family the man who was the head of it. Gee, does that mean I'm going to spit on it. Nope, I'm going to stand tall and say I am so very thankful for each and every patriot in my family. I'm proud of those family members who choose to defend our country today. I'm proud to be the offspring of a veteran. I'm just proud to be an American.

So, before you denounce the veterans of the past, the present and the future, you'd best remember for whose freedom they fight. Get back to American values. Get back to being a proud American. Get back to thanking the veterans. They did so much for us.

Without our veterans, our lives today would not be as they are. We are free Americans. We have freedom of speech. We have the Constitution. We are America.

No comments: