Friday, February 6, 2009

Bully Tactics Again? Keep the Fear Alive

I always try to listen to a portion of the morning news while I'm in the kitchen just a cookin' and a cleanin'. Two different stories caught my attention while I was up to my elbows in soapy water. Now, I'm thinking that some mouths need to get washed out as well.....

You remember the recent inauguration speech with the reference made by the President that if the enemies of the United States would unclench their fists, he would extend the hand of friendship (or something like that). Anyway, during the speech, I took that statement to be for the enemies of our great country.

Just this morning, I guess I was wrong. George Stephanopolis used that same wording when he said the President would have to reclench his hand if the Republicans don't support the stimulus package and pass it this weekend. The big question here is who is the enemy of the United States? Is it Americans who believe the current stimulus package is wrong for the future of our country? Is it Americans who don't want a plan that was bullied into passing? Is the style of governing these days changing into a forced support? Will he take the non supporters out behind the woodshed and beat them up with his clenched fist? Hmmmm.

Another story this morning has its origins during the days of Martin Luther King. I truly believe Mr. King thought his word of nonviolence would work. The early days where fear of the unknown caused many Americans of many races to strike out against the other were not right. Hats off to the old gent who has now taken it upon himself to publicly apologize for his actions against those of a different race. He's asked for their forgiveness and for the forgiveness of the Lord. Now, I have to wonder if people of all races who have continued to keep fear alive will do the same?

Fear. It's a recurring theme these days. Fear of the unknown. Fear of the future. Fear for the safety of our country. Fear.

Best thing I can think to do is get on my knees and pray for our country and our leaders to open their eyes and seek to follow God's will.

No comments: